1. Symbols, “@#$%&!”, to represent an obscenity or swearword are called grawlixes.
2. “queue” – The word “queue” is the only word in the English Language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed.
3. “Dammit I’m mad” is the same spelt backwards
4. “Set” of all the words in the English Language, the word “set” has the most definitions.
5. “Bookkeeper” & “Bookkeeping” are only words in English language with three consecutive double letters.
6. The least used letter in the alphabet is Q.
7. The most commonly used word in English conversation is ‘I’
8. The dot on top of the letter ‘i’ is called a tittle.
9. There are only 4 words in the English language which end in ‘dous’ (they are: hazardous, horrendous, stupendous and tremendous)
10. The oldest word in the English language is ‘town’.
11. The word ‘Strengths’ is the longest word in the English language with just one vowel.
12. The past tense for the English word ‘dare’ is ‘durst’.
13. The word ‘testify’ derived from a time when men were required to swear on their testicles.
14. The first English dictionary was written in 1755.
15. The word old English word ‘juke’ meaning dancing lends its name to the juke box.
16. The longest one syllable word in the English language is ‘screeched’.
17. All pilots on international flights identify themselves in English regardless of their country of origin.
18. The expression to ‘knuckle down’ originated from playing marbles (players used to put their knuckles to the ground for their best shots)
19. The word ‘almost’ is the longest in the English language with all the letters in alphabetical order.
20. The number 4 is the only number that has the same number of letters in it – FOUR
21. Did you know the word ‘Underground’ is the only word that begins and ends with the letters ‘und’.
22. The word ‘Uncopyrightable’ is the is the only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating any letter.
23. The word ‘Typewriter’ is the longest word that can be typed using only the top row of a keyboard.
24. Did you know the sentence “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog” uses every letter in the English alphabet.
25. The sentence “Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs” uses every letter of the alphabet and uses the least letters to do so!
26. The word ‘Rhythm’ is the longest word without a vowel.
27. “Dreamt” is the only word that ends in mt.
28. Did you know there are only 3 sets of letters on a keyboard which are in alphabetical order – ‘F G H’, ‘J K L’, ‘O P’
29. Did you know “Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis” is the Longest English word in the English dictionary it contains 45 letters.
30. No words in the English language rhyme with “month”, “orange”, “silver” or “purple”.
31. “Hungry” and “Angry” are the only words in the English language that end in “-gry.
32. The only three words in the English language to have 2 consecutive u’s is vacuum, residuum, and continuum.
33. In the English language there are only three words that have a letter that repeats six times. Degenerescence (six e’s), Indivisibility (six i’s), and nonannouncement (six n’s).
34. The word “alphabet” is derived from the first two letters in the Greek alphabet: “alpha” and “beta”.
35. Goddessship is the only word in the English language with a triple letter.
36. There is a seven letter word in the English language that contains ten words without rearranging any of its letters, “therein”: the, there, he, in, rein, her, here, here, ere, therein, herein.
37. ‘Stewardesses’ is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand.
38. The first letters of the months July through to November spell JASON (July August September October November).